Monday, January 11, 2010

Daily grind, perennial whine

The beginning of a new year and once again I am whining. I have gotten positively (negatively really) entrenched in a routine – the same-o-same-o for too long. I didn't want to go anywhere because I had so much to do at home. Things just won't get done in my absence.

Oh sure, I went to the usual places: work, the gym, grocery stores, quilt guild meetings and fabric stores. But unless there was a really compelling reason, I stayed home.

No more! Can't have the nose to the grindstone all the time. More play time! I am giving myself 6 hours of escape each weekend.

Six whole hours! Maybe not generous enough. But this does not include the hours drifting. The hours I piddle around unfocused, undecided, sleepwalking. Wasting my precious weekend with a to-do list a mile long. Anyone else with that problem?

Yesterday I inaugurated the plan. Out for breakfast. Then to the bookstore for calendars and wandered through shops on Fourth St. in Berkeley. Didn't use up six hours, but it was wonderfully mindful piddling. Later the two hours of garden cleanup didn't feel like drudgery.

Look with favour upon a bold beginning. - Virgil

2 comments:

  1. Boy do I ever relate to the unfocused, undecided, drifting time. Some days I really beat myself up for time wasted.

    A new view for a few hours does really help though. New energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen: I think you should spend more time quilting and less time worrying about the house. Maybe only grocery shop or consider delegating that. The house will remain in the same state long after you're gone. Put your art first!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete