During my vacation in Italy, when I wasn't walking, eating, sleeping or napping, I was either reading or keeping my hands busy.
- one 6" embroidery hoop
- 21 pieces of cloth, each marked with 4" square
- pearl cotton
- thread snippers
- stitch notes
Use only one stitch per cloth. Stitch improvisationally without marking. Explore stitches: change stitch length, change stitch density, change direction, overlap stitches.
|blanket or buttonhole stitch|
|detached chain stitch or lazy daisy|
|snail trail, unfinished|
- Some stitches lend themselves to variations.
- Some stitches cover more ground.
- Not a large selection of dark value pearl cottons for the lighter cloths.
- Harder for no. 12 pearl cotton to be effective against no. 5. Weight makes a difference.
- Colors were chosen on a whim. Some combinations more effective.
- Build a bigger pearl cotton stash!
- Preparing 21 pieces of cloth was overkill.
- Will use recipe again.
How do you handle weeks away from the studio?