Friday, November 7, 2008

Investment

I'm replenishing my solids stash. At the last workshop, I'd sold four pieces and used three yards of the black out of four. Of the colors, if I have at least a 30" - that's my cutting off point - length left, I'm not worrying about it. But I have less - the shortest 17.5" - than that for about a dozen colors. Out of a hundred colors, not bad.

Decisions. If I find the same color, how much do I buy? Only a half yard? Then I'll end up with two short pieces. Another full yard? If I go for more workshops next fall, I'll most certainly be going through this again. I decided on 1.5 yards. Same for any new colors. That should hold me through the 2-week spring workshop at least. And maybe more.

Recently I spent 5 hours to press, catalog, and organize 12 new solid fabrics. That works out to 25 minutes per fabric. Imagine doing 100 fabrics - 25 minutes x 100 = 2500 minutes or 41.67 hours. Not even including shopping and laundering. That's quite an investment! Good thing most of my prior investment is still intact.

Addendum: The updated supply list says at least 1.5 to 2 yards of each solid color. The one-yarders may not be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment