Sunday, July 21, 2013

Wire diversions


I've long admired Mari Andrews' sculptures ever since visiting her studio a number of years ago. Now am looking forward to her exhibition Over, Under and Inside Out at the San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art

Hold
Mari Andrews' Hold
Propensitus Gravitas detail
Mari Andrews' Propensitus Gravitas
Two years ago she offered a one-day workshop called Paperless Drawing - Wire Sculpture at the Richmond Art Center. But the timing didn't work. This year I had another chance so I broke with my nose-to-the-grindstone routine.

After learning about wire - types, gauges, tools, knots - I played, adding other paraphernalia to wire, to create these two small sculptures:





I'm still having fun toying with their orientation.

It was a terrific diversion from the rigors of piecing. Maybe I'll make one every day week month. Oh, heck, just make another one . . .  whenever . . . then another . . .

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Wires' flexibility provides many opportunities for change and improvisation.

      Delete
  2. What fun! I've been thinking of delving into the 3D art world but I am afraid I would have too much fun!

    ReplyDelete